Sunday, September 13, 2015

Ahoy sailor!

Avast, me hearties! Here I am with my attempt at a sailor style jersey day dress! 

This is a dress I'd been thinking of for a bit - I had some thick cream mystery jersey which I'd been printing eyeballs on with an EYEBALL DRESS in mind (but which I'm now thinking will be too weird for useful wear). I really like the combination of white with black borders, and this looks pleasingly 60s sailoresque - I think!


I used the Nettie bodice for the top; it's now the pattern I've used by far the most. I just love the neckline and the fit of this super pattern! I widened the neckband by 1 inch to make more of a feature of it,  and then drafted a separate bow which is hand sewn onto the centre of the neckband. It's nice that they look like one tied piece - I couldn't figure out how to do it as just a long piece, though I'm sure there must be a way!


The skirt is self drafted - a longer, narrowed version of the Simplicity 1880 one. It's really just two big A-line shapes. I wish it had looked a bit drapier with this fabric, but the jersey is quite thick and I think the stiff, deep hem pulls it out more as well. I LOATHE hemming, I think it's my worst job. I had to be strict with myself to bother measuring this and making it straight... 

For the elasticated waist, I sewed the seam allowance of the waistband down and threaded elastic through - which took ages as it kept getting caught in the seams... but I got there in the end.


Knicker visibility horrors! I think this dress will be better with tights...!


I'm pretty happy with this dress overall, and think it'll be useful for day to day wear, despite being the amazingly un-useful colour of cream. Stretchy sailor goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment