Saturday, May 14, 2016

Culottes again

Hello sewers!

I am here to show off my second pair of Butterick B6178 culottes. I've finally unpicked the baboon bum zip from the last pair, and they are just waiting for an invisible zip and then will hopefully get some wear this summer. In the meantime I made these guys, with some adjustments. 

This is checked white denim, another buy from Fabworks - this time a birthday voucher from my super friend Hattie! Adjustments I made were to raise the waist rise by 1", while also tapering the waist in by about 3/4" on the front and back side seams. What I hadn't realised was that the combination of the higher and smaller waist would mean they hit me right in the middle of my breathing-bit of my stomach (medical terminology), and were way too tight. 

I also had to buy a 9" zip rather than the stipulated 7" to get into them. I unpicked and sewed the seams with a 3/8" seam instead... so next time perhaps I'll lower the waist again, but keep them smaller.

I kind of like these guys... the fabric perhaps is a little stiff for the culottes. And obviously, a super impractical colour. I made them with a wedding in mind, but I think they are too modern casual clown for that. 

Until next time!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Animal House

Hello sewers!

I've been trying to participate in Me Made May this year - so far so good, I've managed 5 out of 7 days a week in something I've made. And it's had the effect I've read others mention of making me see the gaps in my wardrobe. This dress is a result!

Not that my wardrobe exactly had an obviously leopard-print-midi-dress-shaped hole in it, but now it's here I can't believe I went so long without it! This is a Closet Case Files Nettie bodice, with cap sleeves from a top in Gertie's book and with a quarter circle skirt, made using the extremely handy By Hand London circle skirt app

I measured where my waist is on the bodice, and then cut the pattern there and added elastic round the waist to hold the skirt up. I also sized up the bodice to a 14 - this super fabric from Fabworks (a bargainous £5 a metre - I think mine was Animal 6, but they have a whole section of animal print, yaaay!) is actually pretty unstretchy for a jersey, and my first size 12 version was a squeeze.

I have left the neckline unfinished, as I quite like the shape it is now, and I'm nervous of bowing it out with binding... I'll see how I go. I'm also putting off hemming the skirt as I think that'll be a fairly heinous job, but I'll get round to it sooner or later!

I wore it out last night and it was very comfortable and I love it! I've made another in grey which I'll blog soon - hurrah for cotton jersey!