Thursday, February 25, 2021

Very velouring!

 Hi sewing friends!

I'm repeating silhouettes now - sorry to be boring while I'm caught in a puff-sleeved shirt/Pomona Pants frenzy which I have no desire to get out of. 


A few months ago I was alerted via Instagram that Rainbow Fabrics Kilburn had some affordable cupro for sale, and bought three metres. It's beautiful, and I love how it feels, but it's the shiftiest fabric I've worked with yet. I spent longer cutting out than usual, and once cut all the pieces looked dismayingly wonky and different in sizes. But a bit of wrangling, and lots more pinning than I'm accustomed to, and they all fit together. I made exactly the same shirt as in my last post, minus the frills round the collar. 


I love this shirt - it's very comfortable, and looks quite smart with some jewellery to jazz it up. I think it'll get a lot of wears.


My other recent fabric purchase was this mint green jersey velour/velvet from Fabric Godmother. Having not read the description properly I'd taken it for a woven velvet when I purchased it, so was a bit sad when it arrived that it wasn't as fancy as I'd imagined. But it's beautiful in its own right, and after a little fear that I'd actually made myself Juicy Couture pants when I made these Pomonas, I think the high waist and shape keep it out of that danger zone! I think they look kind of 40s and sophisticated - or they did before I bagged them out and got them grubby by wearing them every day since I finished them two weeks ago.


As it's important to embrace those things which we fear, I decided to lean into the Juicy Couture thing and make a matching t-shirt. I had to do some piecing at the back as I was almost out of my two metres. But I quite like this look in the end. I think it's sort of Carmela Sopranoesque.


Absence of "Juicy" writing on the bum - far too sophisticated for that!

Thanks for reading! And thanks to my friend Steve for taking these pics in front of our shared building - a bit of natural light to sparkle on my velour.

No comments:

Post a Comment