Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Stripes for a wedding

Hello fellow sewers!

I went to an absolutely lovely wedding last weekend in Usk in Wales. The sun shone on the day and it was one of best I can remember attending. Thank you Lynne and Matt!

A wedding is still an excuse for a new dress! I had a sort-of toile I'd been tinkering with for Sally and Dave's wedding in July. This is an Emery Dress bodice with an Anna maxi skirt. I made no alterations to either pattern, except to leave off the Emery sleeves and and lining, finishing the armscyes and neckline with bias binding instead.

 The leftover bits of fabric went to the freestyled ruffled sleeves and a tie for the waist. I was really happy with how the stripes in the tie contrast with the ones in the skirt - a happy accident!

The fabric is an Indian block-print from Indian Stores, the Etsy shop with extra lovely goodies in it at the moment...

I really love this dress! I think it's one of my fave things I've made, even though its maxi-ness might mean it doesn't get tons of outings. I think it might get dirty in London as soon as I step foot out the door.

But it was an excellent wedding outfit. It survived pie-eating, two rounds of ceilidhs, a game of rounders and the resulting blood (clumsy!), having water poured directly onto it from a watering can by a high-spirited younger member of the party, and of course a wedding-sized portion of booze. 

Thank you once again to my unofficial blog photographer Shelley!

No comments:

Post a Comment