Saturday, December 5, 2015

Denim Anna/Emery dress

Hello! I hope you are well!



It's been a while since my last post - I haven't had as much time for sewing lately as I'd have liked, but happily Christmas break is approaching, and I'm going to have a sewing ORGY!!! I say:

If the serger's overlockin', don't come a knockin'! 

Or something.

I sewed this dress up about a month ago, but was so seriously underwhelmed by it that I almost thought I wouldn't bother blogging it - but hey, I like cataloging these guys and don't want to miss any out! This is a blend of the By Hand London Anna Dress bodice with Christine Haynes's Emery Dress skirt. I don't know what about this isn't doing it for me - in my head I was totally into it. I'm feeling very denim-y at the moment, but I think me and flouncy skirts don't get on much.


Anyway, it was a simple sew - I'd already made some alterations to my Anna bodice pattern, bringing in the slash neck by a couple of cm on each side - a wide slash doesn't do much for me, plus it really annoys me to keep having to push bra straps out of the way. So this feels better, and I really love the shape of the bodice - I definitely have more plans in mind for this. 



A mistake I made was to make the facings out of the same denim - it's too heavy a fabric I think, so next time I would definitely make them from thinner cotton. But apart from that I'm happy with how it all sewed up - I just don't think the result suits me. Never mind, it's nicely finished so can go charity shop-wards and, as ever, was a learning experience!

I will hopefully be back soon with the finished Rigel Bomber that I'm halfway through. I'm making it up in this same denim - I'm aiming for the usual Molly Ringwald Pretty in Pink vibe, crossed with Neneh Cherry circa Buffalo Stance - current fashion aim


See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment