Wednesday, August 26, 2020

They call me Unmellow Yellow

Hello sewers! 


Next up in my list of "Nowhere to go, so this fancy thing shall I sew" is this yellow dress! I originally bought this double gauze from Merchant & Mills with a modified Fringe Dress in mind - I wanted to copy Catherine's beautiful version. But giving it some thought, I realised that much as I loved the dress on her, I don't think it's a silhouette I'll wear. Whereas this tried and trusted hack has been a winner for me in both blue and white.


I haven't anything to add about this dress after my last two versions - the only difference I made was to round the neckline, which I think gives it a more 40s feel. I just love a button-through dress so much! Will I ever tire of them... Plus because I ran out of buttons the gape at the front matches the back, so it looks a bit jumpsuity from some angles - bonus! 


I also wondered to myself if another reason I reached for this pattern rather than tracing and cutting the Fringe Dress out was something particular to this time. Sewing is my favourite hobby - absorbing, stimulating and satisfying - BUT, I wouldn't call it soothing or restful. Do other sewers feel this - is it a hobby that becomes more relaxing as one improves? I find I'm sort of white-knuckled most of the way through the process, I think waiting for a mishap, even though they are almost always rectifiable... As well as joy and pride in finishing something I like, there's also RELIEF - is this a common feeling?

This was my first time working with double gauze - I'm mad about the colour but I didn't LOVE the fabric itself  - maybe it's not the greatest fit for a structured dress like this - it might prove a little lightweight. Only time and the million cocktail parties I'll shortly be wearing it to will tell. Oh, wait...


Thanks for reading! x

No comments:

Post a Comment